Moving is stressful; don’t add to the stress by committing the following mistakes!
- Forgetting to setup utilities: One of the biggest mistakes people make is forgetting to set up their utilities in their new home or apartment. DON’T FORGET TO TURN ON THE ELECTRICITY! Moving takes a lot out of you, the last thing you want to do, is arrive at your new location with no electricity and no heat/AC; you don’t won’t to spend hours on the phone, trying to get your electricity turned on, when you could be settling into your new home!
- Underestimating just how “stuff” you actually have to move: Before the move make sure you are clear to the moving company about the amount of items you’re moving; in order for this to happen, you should start parking well in advance to your moving day so that you have a better idea of what you’re moving and how much space you will need.
- Packing specific items without special permits: so in order to pack things like firearms and alcohol, you need to sign up for a special moving permit; we are not allowed to move these items without that permit!
- Unprepared for the road: Depending on how far you’re moving, you should prepare a bag with food, drinks, books, and other items to help the trip go by a little faster; you’re likely going to be driving straight to your new home, so you won’t have time to stop! This is especially important if you have young children!
- Not selling or tossing out extra, useless items: We recommend, before the move, to have some sort of yard sale to get rid of extra items that you no longer need or want. Having a yard sale is a great way to make some extra cash! Or you can donate items you won’t be using anymore, i.e. clothes, televisions, old furniture, etc.
If you’re moving, do yourself a favor, and don’t make these five mistakes! Moving is stressful enough, you don’t need to add to it! Here at Boston Rare Movers, we will help you every step of the way, from the first free consultation, to moving tips, all the way to helping you pack, load and unload the truck!
For a free estimate, or to get started on your big move, please give Rare Movers a call at 617-825-7273. We are looking forward to helping you with your next move!